Thursday, March 29, 2007

MP's response to EU Democracy Requirements

Dear Mr Higginbottom,
Further to your previous letter I am also pleased to write to you over the matter of devolution and the West Lothian Questions.
I have asked many times in the House why it is that Scottish MP's can vote on English matters and not vice versa. This is indeed democratically unfair. I support whole heartedly the calls for English votes on English matters.

I also have concern at present over the number of Ministers from Scottish constituencies who are in charge of ministries that only have jurisdiction over English constituents. This too is grossly unfair, and may get worse under a Scottish Prime Minister.
However such hypothesis will be answered if and when Mr Brown moves into Number 10. What is sure however is there is unlikely to be any change whilst he is in control, and the government relies on the Scottish members for its majority over English law.
I assure you that I take every opportunity to raise this matter I in the House, or via questions.
Daniel Kawczynski MP

No comments: