Saturday, March 18, 2006

MP's letter re English Parliament

Dear Mr. Higginbottom,


Thank you very much for your letter dated 25 February regarding the Legislative Reform Bill No. 111 and the possibility of the adoption of an English Parliament. I am sorry it has taken so long to respond.


While 1 certainly agree with you that there is currently a constitutional unfairness to England that must be addressed, I'm afraid that I do not support your solution to the problem.


I don't think it is true to say that the policy of 'English votes on English laws' is a 'dead duck'. Indeed, I would argue that your preferred policy of a separate English Parliament would cause far more practical difficulties and, I fear, actually undermine the Union.


The tone of your letter suggests that you see no future for the United Kingdom. I think the Union - which celebrates its 300th anniversary next year - has served us all well and can continue to do so. I am also confident about our electoral prospects; we gained seats in both Scotland and Wales at the last election and came within an ace of winning more.


We shall have to agree to disagree to the solution to this constitutional problem, but I am sure that you would agree that the Conservative Party is the only main political party to offer an answer to the West Lothian Question.

Daniel Kawczynski MP Shrewsbury & Atcham

No comments: