Friday, March 31, 2006

Letter from David Wright MP

Remember the email I sent to David Wright a week ago? He's normally very prompt so when I didn't see a yellow envelope on my doormat after a couple of days I thought he had decided not to reply to me. To my surprise, he has and here it is ...

DAVID WRIGHT MP
Telford Constituency

HOUSE OF COMMONS
LONDON SW1A OAA


30th March 2006
Mr Stuart Parr
XXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
TELFORD
TFXXXX

Dear Stuart

Thank you for your e-mail of the 25th March. I prefer to reply by letter to constituents.

As you point out, there are some significant challenges facing the health economy in Shropshire due to the deficit position. I would however point out that waiting lists have gone down significantly and there are many more staff working in our local hospitals. I fully expect that we will see no change to A & E services at the PRH, which seems to be the main area of concern locally.

I know your view is that we can resolve all of our problems by creating an English parliament, and we will have to disagree on this.

I would be more than happy to meet you to discuss these matters. We could meet before or after your work hours on a Friday, so perhaps you will let me know when you are available by telephoning my Telford office on the number below.

Yours sincerely


David Wright


London (020) 7219 8331 Telford (01952) 507747


Ah, where to begin? Waiting lists are down. That's great but there are people being turned away for treatment because there's no money to treat them. Shropshire NHS is £30m in debt and we're giving away £100m a year to our neighbours in involuntary subsidies. Put two and two together David!

I don't recall saying that an English Parliament would solve all our problems but I admit I am of the opinion that it would solve a large number of them. I respect his right to have his own opinion on the subject but an ITV poll showed 95% support for an English Parliament and a BBC poll showed 74% support. Going on the results of that poll, it's reasonable to assume that three quarters of his constituents support an English Parliament and he was elected to represent their views, not his own.

I will naturally be taking him up on his offer to meet up - probably in 2 weeks time so I'll let you know what he says.

No comments: